Tuesday, November 24, 2015

TRM 25 questions Blog Hop

Yay for horsey content!  I'm jumping on the bandwagon for this one.  (Of course, it doesn't hurt that this blog is ALSO featuring an opinionated red-head.)

1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
I've only ever owned mares (all two of them) but have ridden both.  I don't have a problem with geldings, but the ones I've fallen in love with have ended up being red-headed girls.

First pony, Naash's Peppy Girl (Frisky)

Current pony, My Secret Garden (Violet)
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
While I would love to have one, or have the ability to ride one, that is fully broke that I could just learn on, I've only ever owned green-broke ones (they were both 4 when I got them).

3. Would you own a "hotter" breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
My first pony Frisky was half arab, half quarter.  As long as they are sane, it's fine.

4. What was your "dream horse" growing up?
I always wanted to ride a paint.  Tri-color preferable, but a black and white one would do.  On a side note, I was able to ride one of these for his last season before retirement (In Living Color, aka Charlie) a few years ago, and he was a saint.  Unfortunately, I have not one picture of me on him.

5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
For dressage and jumping, we were using a nathe, the last I knew, although my trainer was talking about trying to go back to the french link.
Image result for nathe bits
Nathe loose-ring

We were using the nathe because Violet gets uneven on the reins and then takes it personally when you use one rein harder than the other.  And I'm pretty convinced she just has a mouth that doesn't do as well with a link.  I've had her in a straight bar off and on since she was 4.  For cross country we use a french link dutch gag (3 ring), with the rein on the center ring.  It gives just enough poll action to keep her paying attention when in the field.  She's very aware of her poll, and is not appreciative of pressure there.
Image result for dutch gag
We have this one with a double joint
6. Helmets or no helmets?
Helmet goes on before the bridle does.  Always.  I have three.

7. Favorite horse color?
I appear to be partial to the redheads, although I never really thought that I had a preference for color, just personality.

8. Least favorite horse color?
Once again, I go for personality.

9. Dressage or Jumping?
I like them both.

Violet prefers the jumping.


10. How many years have you been riding?
I rode for about 8 years when I was younger, and have been riding 8 years as an adult.  20 year break in the middle.

11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
I carry a crop cross-country, but only use it on Violet's shoulder, as she gets offended if you hit her in the butt with it.  I used spurs for about a year to get Violet more reactive to leg, but now she does better without them.

12. Your first fall?
The first time I cantered in an English saddle when I was in 4th grade.  I just kind of slipped off the side in slow motion.  It was funny, both at the time and in retrospect.

13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
November 8th (has it really been more than 2 weeks?!?) and we just hacked in the cross country field.
http://mysecretgardenpony.blogspot.com/2015/11/weekend-update.html

14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
By far my CWD saddle that I bought new in 2012.
Right out the box Aug 2012

15. How old were you when you started riding?
My parents took the family out for Western lessons when I was 6 or 7.



16. Leather or Nylon halters?
Currently have leather, but have used both.

17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
Leather

18. What "grip" of reins do you like?
Since I grew up doing hunters, they were always laced.  Now that I have flipped to the dark side, I have grown to really like rubber reins.

19. English or Western?
Started Western, but have been English for 15 out of 16 years.

20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
One is plenty.  And more than I can afford right now, honestly.

21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
Full training board.  I grew up with my pony in the backyard and always dreamed I would do that as an adult, but life has other things in mind.

22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
No.

23. How many saddlepads do you have?
I don't know.  5 or 6?  I got rid of a bunch of them when I quit using baby pads.

24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
I don't have one, but Violet appears to appreciate a slant-load step-up the best.

25. Why do you ride?
It is a life sport for me.  A way to get me up and about and outside.  And it keeps me centered and sane.

3 comments:

  1. Violet is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along - I've added you to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my helmet always goes on right before the bridle too - just has always seemed the most natural order of operations lol

    ReplyDelete